Last of the summer vegetables

Gardening is like baseball in that both are associated with summer, but the season doesn't actually end until well into fall. We enjoyed some of the last of our summer veggies on this cool November night.

3770
These funny looking zucchini aren't going to win any State Fair awards, but I couldn't be prouder of them. After languishing in containers all summer and producing no edible fruit, they went gangbusters after I plopped them in a raised bed and the rains of El Niño came.

I should have put a quarter on the placemat for reference; sorry! The one up top is about 5 inches long; the one on the bottom, about 9. I don't know what variety of zucchini these are. The seedlings were labeled Eight Ball Squash, which they certainly are not.

Sometimes if zucchini are left to grow too large, they get tough, stringy and woody with lots of big seeds. Not this grand girl; she was sweet and tender. I sliced her up and sauteéd her with the last of the Juliet tomatoes, olive and canola oil, chopped onions, chopped garlic, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and some fresh basil from the herb garden.
3780

Then I put the lid on and let the medley stew until the veggies were soft and the flavors had mingled. (If I had been thinking, I would have picked the last tiny bell pepper and thrown that in, too. Oh well.)
3786
Jack's not a huge fan of squash, but he liked this. Yay, another veggie to add to the weekly dinner rotation.

Comments

  1. Your summer squash look lovely. I finally had a decent harvest this year. The squash vine borers didn't manage to kill the plants, but they all tasted bad. I have never had that happen to me before, it was quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you are still getting some vegi's from the garden this late. We are still picking beans, although we have had to cover them with tarps several times already. This one is hard to believe, I have two watermelons that I am going to pick if I hear of a bad freeze. I think they are already ripe but I'm just making sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment