Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A rather wan Bloom Day

There are precisely four plants blooming in my urban Central Texas plot today, and none too profusely, I might add.

Coral honeysuckle:
4268

"Fairy" rose:
4279

A hybrid "Orange Sceptre" butterfly bush, which is a gangly 6 feet tall and as ugly as sin:
4287

and a four-nerve daisy which was whipping around in the wind too fast to get a good shot. I guess some would say the Mainacht and Indigo Spires salvias are technically still blooming, but I wouldn't, thus, no photos.

Lookit, the Red Carpet sedum is living up to its name. It was bright green until the freeze hit a couple of weeks back. 4294

Thanks to Carol at May Dreams Gardens for hosting Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, or GBBD for short. What's blooming in your garden?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, how gorgeous is that red carpet sedum? I love that. Must add it to my long list of plants to acquire. :)

    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the red carpet sedum! I continue to be surprised at how hardy some of the roses around here are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree..the red carpet sedum is pretty.
    I like the flower on the butterfly bush. Just too lanky, though?
    Happy GBBD....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the red sedum too! It wasn't very red when I bought it. I thought, "hmm, wonder why they call it Red Carpet sedum?" Now I know!

    Yes, Linda, too lanky. The flowers are fine and all sorts of wildlife are attracted to them, including hummingbirds. I guess it's my fault, really - just planted it in the wrong spot. It towers over all the other plants. I may move it in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I've never ever seen an orange butterfly bush before like that - wonderful. Probably too tender to grow for me.

    ReplyDelete