A serendipitous rain

On Wednesday, forecasters predicted a 40% chance of showers. I didn't think too much about it; nothing on the radar looked all that promising. I had carpal tunnel surgery that morning, and spent most of the afternoon sleeping off the general anesthesia.
 
Miraculously, a big old raincloud popped up after dinner, directly over our neighborhood, and dumped nearly 2 inches of rain on our plot in an hour! I couldn't believe it. The CoCoRaHS rain gauge reports tell the story. Most folks in Austin either got nothing or far less.
 

While I'm grateful for the welcome showers, I'm sad for the residents of Florida and western North Carolina, suffering deeply from the effects of Hurricane Helene. Seems like it's either drought or deluge these days, never “just enough.”

 
Words and photos © 2005-2024 Caroline Homer for "The Shovel-Ready Garden". Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments