Today's harvest

Today's harvest.
Today I harvested several carrots, three asparagus spears, lots of snap peas and a few broccoli side shoots. Thanks to the rain washing the pencil marks off my plant tags, I have no idea what variety the carrots are, but I recall planting Nantes, Danvers 126, Royal Chantanay and Tonda di Parigi. At nearly 8 inches long, the two carrots in the center are the biggest carrots I've ever grown!

Fresh lettuces from the garden
I also harvested a variety of fresh lettuces including radicchio, green and red Oak Leaf, Garnet Rose Romaine, Rouge D'Hiver Romaine, and Buttercrunch Bibb.

But the pièce de résistance was this, my first kohlrabi. Isn't it a beaut?
Purple kohlrabi

I think it looks a bit alien with its round shape and its multiple arms, I mean, stems.
Purple kohlrabi

Are you harvesting any veggies today? I'd love to hear about your haul!

Words and photos © 2009-2012 Caroline Homer for "The Shovel-Ready Garden". Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments

  1. Kale, kale and more kale! Two kinds. We harvested yesterday so we could use it in a white bean, andoullie sausage soup. SO. GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must grow kale this fall. I've never tried it and everyone raves about it. Seems easy to grow, too.

      Delete
  2. Brussels sprouts. My one little plant has provided so many meals, and I still have at least a dozen left on the plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Brussels sprouts the same year I tried cauliflower (two falls ago?) and didn't have much luck. It was a cold winter but fairly dry. I did get about 1/2 cup of tiny, tiny little sprouts. I should try again.

      Delete
  3. Just lots of herbs over here. Loving the photos of your harvest though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, fresh herbs. Why use dry when you can use fresh? Which reminds me -- I need to find some culinary sage plants...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful bounty! Love your photo of the kohlrabi -- looks like some Phillip influence there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment