Caterpillars

Little orange caterpillars with black tufts are attempting to decimate my passiflora vine.
caterpillars9712

They're everywhere, chewing big ragged holes in the leaves.
caterpillars9706

Passiflora is a host plant for butterflies. This vine is heavily shaded by my neighbor's forest of 'trash trees' - mostly hackberry trees, planted along the fence line by birds - and has never received enough sun to bloom. I did a little research, and found out that this caterpillar -
caterpillar9704

- turns into this butterfly.
gulffritillary

In fact, I saw several gulf fritillaries flitting dizzily around the yard this weekend, in the frenzied, herky-jerky manner of a newly hatched butterfly trying to figure it all out.

This fall, I should move the vine to a sunnier location, to give it a better chance of surviving.

Comments