Farewell to fall

My urban garden has managed to avoid the handful of freezes my suburban and rural friends have endured, but now that we're into December, it's only a matter of time. I've been quite pleased with the peppers, squash and eggplant my fall garden produced, though the beans and cucumbers were a bust. And although my remaining tomato plant (Chocolate Cherry) is lush, full, healthy and loaded with green fruit, I have no illusions that any of the fruit will ripen before this week's predicted freeze.
Fall harvest

So, it's time to say goodbye to fall garden friends. Here's some of this week's farewell rituals:

Sauteed squash with onions, basil and garlic in olive oil
Sauteed squash, garlic, basil, onion

My mother-in-law's chocolate zucchini cake
Chocolate zucchini cake

The last of the fall flower blossoms floating in a shallow bowl of water
Last of the fall flowers

How are you saying adios to your fall garden?

Words and photos © 2009-2011 Caroline Homer for "The Shovel-Ready Garden". Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments

  1. Your veggies look delish. I didn't even attempt a veggie garden this fall, so I'm impressed. My ritual is to tour my gardens and thank all my lovelies for their blooms and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this one makes me hungry! And looks like fall is sort of back. . .Happy New Year of gardening to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment