The race is on

In the Three Sisters garden, 'Tatume' squash are running strong in first with pole beans ('Trionfo Violetto' and 'Scarlet Runner') a close second and 'Country Gentleman' sweet corn bringing up the rear.
'Three Sisters' garden

No sign of the 'Sugar Pie' pumpkins I planted, but I've got several baby 'Tatume' squash. 'Tatume' vines are solid and less prone to the evil squash vine borer. When harvested young, 'Tatume' is similar to a summer squash; when allowed to mature on the vine, it's more akin to a winter squash.
'Tatume' squash

As warm as this past winter was, I expected to be harvesting tomatoes by now. Normally the Sungold and Juliet cherry tomatoes would be ramping up production and the larger tomatoes setting most of their fruit. But as I snapped photos this weekend, these two smallish Green Zebra tomatoes were all I had so far. Maybe it's been too warm?
'Green Zebra' tomatoes

A late cool front has brought with it more than two inches of rain this week and slightly cooler temperatures. The tomato plants themselves have seemingly doubled in size and are flowering, so perhaps I'll see a few more tomatoes set this week.

It's gonna be a great year for limes. I've got at least three dozen baby Persian limes and they're getting bigger by the day. 'Bearss' limes

What's going strong in your garden race and what's lagging behind? Tell me about it!

Words and photos © 2009-2012 Caroline Homer for "The Shovel-Ready Garden". Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments

  1. Looks like Coronas and limes at Caroline's house, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to keep us all updated on the tatume front as time goes on - I'd be willing to try any squash that doesn't suffer so greatly from the SVB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first year growing 'Tatume' and I'm excited at its progress so far. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Things are looking good!
    This rain has been wonderful, hasn't it?
    You got some great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! The rain has been absolutely rejuvenating, and it seems that more of the wet stuff is on its way.

      Delete
  4. Cool! I always wanted to try the "three sisters" method. I wonder if it helps with SVBs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that! From what I've read, the corn provides a "pole" for the beans to climb; the beans sequester nitrogen in the soil for the following year's corn and the vines help stabilize this year's stalks; and the squash shades the roots of all three, helping to retain soil moisture and keep weeds down. And all three vegetables complement each other nutritionally.

      Delete
  5. I've always been intrigued by the three sisters method, as well! And I'm adding Tatume squash on my list to try; it's great that they can be tender or more hearty, depending on when you harvest. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a great winter/spring! All your edibles look so happy too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the myer lemons this year. Hoping to have a good crop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment