Making marmalade

Texas citrus season is at its peak and we can't let any of it go to waste! My friend Connie brought me two big bags of lemons and oranges from her mother's trees in Ellinger, Texas. I decided to make marmalade from some of the bounty.


I used Jenny's recipe - the one she posted on her Rock Rose blog - and followed it to a T. Looks promising!



I'll give the marmalade a full 48 hours to set, then mail a jar to Connie, along with some Persian limes from our tree. They are so ripe, they look like lemons, but are as sweet and juicy and fragrant as Key limes.

They've been falling off the tree faster than I can pick them. We don't drink as many Margaritas as we used to and we are watching our sugar intake so no Key lime pie, either. I've been bringing big bags of limes to work to give away to the NICU nurses I work with; they disappear quickly, so they must like them, too.

We are lucky to have such abundance!

Words and photos © 2009-2020 Caroline Homer for "The Shovel-Ready Garden". Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments

  1. Hope your marmalade tastes as good as it looks. We’re they Seville Oranges? You can make lime marmalade too! Robertson’s Silver Shred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes wonderful, but I should have added a bit of pectin and sliced the peels thinner. Not sure what type of oranges they are. They might have been rootstock, or lemons; she gave me a bag of oranges and a bag of lemons, I might have mixed them up. They looked like a bumpy orange, but tasted a little like grapefruit - astringent and pleasantly bitter.

      Delete

Post a Comment